Friday, May 04, 2007

why yes, thank you, I am terribly clever

Those who know my beloved and I in real life may not need to be told the following. I am a planner, lover of lists and organizing. He flies by the seat of his pants more often than not, and prefers to go with the flow. I like to tell the flow where to go. To complicate things further, neither of us is a 'doer'. I lack confidence to start most projects that I can plan and organize, and he would rather just wait...and see what happens. Prime example being the first 2 years we were married and had nothing on our living room walls. nothing. I couldn't decide what I liked, and he didn't care.

These facts make our trips to the city rather, well, potentially comical. I keep an ongoing list of what we need, and what store would be best to purchase it in. He would rather wait and see if we may like Canadian Tire's offerings over Home Depot's. Home Depot is the store he would just rather avoid altogether. I have big plans for what I would like our kitchen to look like, our bathroom, our yard - if only money weren't the issue it actually is.

Actually, Home Depot is the setting for this particular story.

I like Home Depot. I like the potential of renovation and improvement, but am not always skilled enough to take the projects on (and let's not even get started on the lack of time...). I like to plan and plot and wish and wonder. He would not. Truth be told, I can hear him rolling his eyes the minute we get into the store. I kid you not, I can hear his eyes rolling at me. He's not an eye roller in my direction often (bless him, for I often deserve it), but Home Depot sets him off like nothing else. So we wandered in to the Depot of all things Home the other day while in the city. I had plans for purchasing things. I had Lists!

On that list was a mini-project even I could complete. And I found my tools, on sale no less, and made the purchase. AND I even did the job last night (at 11:30 pm no less). I am rather pleased with myself.

Now granted, Mike Holmes may consider the work "not done right", but I'm pleased with the results. See!



a tile backsplash in our basement bathroom! Decor and function where there was just plain wall previously.








Ok, so they are press on, self adhesive tiles. But these happy little flowers with such sayings as "make a wish - faites un souhaite" is at once charming AND a nod to both our official languages.

Well, I liked it.

3 comments:

BL said...

You GO, Girl.

Mo the Mama said...

And I thought I was the only one who could hear eye rolling. We should compare lists! I actually have a binder full of great ideas and cool articles that I want to "administer" into our lives...

Unknown said...

You're awesome! That looks nice. And what a feeling to accomplish something on any list!