There have been some interesting times in our home lately.
Isaac is playing around with a new-found aggressive streak, which challenges me in ways I never dreamed of. I need to find ways to help my little man-child learn to exert his desire to go faster, further, harder. I'm often at a loss as to how to process what he's doing, and to keep up with him. I also feel badly that he often gets the least of me in the day, as he is rapidly becoming so very able to do things on his own. Then he will climb into my lap and say "my body is telling me that I need a snuggle".
Norah has had a language explosion that takes my breath away. Sentences like "perhaps if I got a ladder and climbed up the tree, I could see the birds better" or "do you know that I'm using my imagining right now and that I'm not really a princess?" are commonplace here. Her use of such complex words combined with her grasp of the subtle nuances of our language is shocking to me. Yet she has no desire to use the potty. Given that Isaac was slower on the language front, I'm just stunned by Norah on a near-daily basis. She recalls song lyrics that we haven't heard in weeks, recounts the intricacies of Dora the Explorer plots, and is very good at timing a "I love you" when she senses that mom is going to enforce a boundary.
Ruby, 'the baby', is less baby-like every day. She is trying with all her might to keep up with the siblings. She climbs, runs, jumps and self-dresses. A cheesy grin is pulled out whenever she catches your eye at mealtime, she is a natural clown. Typical of her year and a halfness, she is quick to meltdown when thwarted from, oh, say whacking her sister with a book or climbing on the kitchen table, or when she can't fit two legs in one pantleg. She's a little chatter too, and loves to point out motorcycles, dogs, balls and hats..and will point them out with increasing volume until you acknowledge her. I love watching her grow, but am often struck with how bittersweet her growing up is. Her 19 months seem to have passed faster than her sibling's did. I don't get it. How does that happen?
There are so many wonderful moments with them. Which is wonderful at making up for the nights they spend throwing up (or worse...don't ask), or driving you crazy because they just. don't. stop. at. all. for. 10. minutes. already!
Much as there are days that seem to knock me flat, I cherish the golden, precious moments when I wouldn't trade them for all the venomous snakes in the world (who often seem less difficult to take grocery shopping).
Saturday, June 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I find Micah's vocabulary astounding too! The first time he said "today is a bee-wootiful day, a little windy, but sunny" I about swooned... So cute to hear big words out of little people. LOL
Post a Comment