Saturday, April 08, 2006

my biggest flaw?

According to my mom, one of my biggest flaws as a mother is that I "have it too together". scratch head. I don't get that. The reason I'm having a hard time living in a new town is that I appear to have things so well put together that I don't need friends? What???

Seriously, has she not seen me with my kids? I know she's seen me on some off days, where I am upset that my kids are upset because *I* want to be the one having a temper tantrum. The days where I just want to scream, but don't so I don't wake someone up? The days where I complain about not being able to get anything done at all, despite having a husband that pulls more than his fair share of parenting and housework duties? The days where *my* needs take over Rob's time for working? If anything NOW is when I have had it the least together, where I have been the most dependant on others. Sure, I'm lousy at asking for help - especially when the people who have offered help with my kids are out to spank them *for me*...how nice.

I don't know. I don't think I look like I have things together, even though it's often way easier to deal with stuff in front of people, because I have to hold myself together (nobody wants to see a grownup have a temper tantrum...I think) But is that really why I haven't really been able to make friends and develop a support system here? I doubt it. Let's review. We moved here in February, it was snowy and hard to get out. One car, that Rob took with him. Then found out I was pregnant. Sick. Then spring came. Few places to take kids. The summer, everyone goes away. Then fall, very pregnant, 2 cars, but nowhere to go. Then new baby, and winter hits, darn near impossible to get out period. Combine that with a very close knit community that doesn't do well with outsiders, especially those who don't work with their husbands. Maybe *that's* why I'm having a hard time meeting people. I know my mom means well, but it really didn't help me at all.

No comments: